Welcome to Design Technology

Year 7

  • Key Topics Nutrition and Healthy Eating; Health and Safety; Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing.
  • Important Skills in this subject Preparing and cooking food; using machinery, tools and equipment safely and correctly
  • Helpful Websites/resources ‘Moodle’ for ingredient lists and all homework tasks
  • How parents/carers can help Ingredients for food lessons; support with homework

Food—Healthy Eating

Students will learn about the function and nutritional value of ingredients and how they can be used to prepare nutritious and tasty food products. The emphasis for this project is on healthy eating and giving the students the skills and confidence to prepare healthy food for themselves. A range of practical tasks will be undertaken during the project and students will be required to provide their own ingredients as well as a suitable container for taking the finished food products home in.

Wood Structures—Weather Vane

This project will introduce students to the properties and characteristics of different types of wood and metal as well as a wide range of techniques for manipulating and joining these materials. Students will become familiar with both hand and machine techniques which will provide for a sound knowledge and skills base on which they can develop their future skills in this subject. The practical task will involve the construction of a weather vane using wood and metal which students will be able to take home once completed.

Textiles—Designer Diary Holder

Students will investigate the subject of textiles and the wide range of items that are textile based. The focus then moves on to storage and the wide range of storage solutions in the home. Students will then learn about fabrics, their properties and how to work with them, using both hand and machine techniques. The practical task will involve the making of a diary holder, from denim fabric, which is then decorated using a computer controlled laser cutter.

Year 8

Graphics

Students will experience a wide range of freehand and formal and computer aided design drawing techniques and demonstrate how these can be used to develop and communicate ideas effectively. The main focus of the project will be packaging, how it is designed and constructed and how it has been developed to maximise its impact on the consumer. The practical task involves the creation of a CD type package to hold and promote ‘2D Design’, a piece of designing software. This software will be used to create a label for the disc. Students will have the opportunity to purchase this software for home use.

Cultural Foods

Students will explore ingredients and dishes from a range of different cultures from around the world. The will identify key ingredients and their nutritional value and use these to prepare dishes which typify these cultures. The focus of this project is on broadening students experience and understanding of a wide range of ingredients and how they can be used to develop healthy and nutritious dishes. Students will be required to cook Italian, English, Indian and Chinese foods and they will also have the opportunity to design and make a dish of their own.

Mechanical systems and Control

This project will focus on gaining understanding of motion, forces, levers, cams, pneumatics and hydraulics and how these can be linked together to create mechanical control systems. Students will use the knowledge gained from this to design and make a bridge, cam based toy and rocket powered car. The main challenge in the project involves designing and making a series of inter-connected machines capable of safely transporting an egg over a set distance without touching it and without it breaking.

Year 9

Electronics and Control

This project will introduce students to electronics. They will investigate how the development of the microchip has led to the design and manufacture of increasingly more complex and interactive electronic products which have had a huge impact on our way of life. The practical task for this project is the designing and making of a cyberpet. Students will have to build an interactive electronic circuit at the heart of which is a programmable PIC chip. They will then learn how to program the circuit to control various inputs and outputs. The circuit will be contained within a laser cut acrylic housing decorated in the style of a ‘Flanimal’.

Product Design with Textiles

This project focuses on designing for a specific need and looks into all the aspects which go into the development of a successful design such as: ergonomics; aesthetics; form; function, etc. Students will carry out an in-depth investigation of a range of high visibility safety products looking at how they have been constructed, the materials that have been used, how well they function and ease of use. The will use what they have learnt from this to develop a design for their own unique high visibility safety product, which they will then prototype, manufacture and package.

Metal and Plastic

This project looks at manufacturing through the medium of metal and plastic. Students will be required to manufacture an adjustable mirror focusing closely on quality assurance and quality control to ensure the product is of the highest standard. The mirror part of the product will be produced from laser cut acrylic and will be based on the work of an artist or a specific piece of design. Students will have to carry out an investigation into the work of artists and designers to help them with the designing element of this task.

Years 10 and 11

GCSE Catering Course

This course will give you an insight into all the different aspects of the Catering Industry from producing high quality dishes to learning about the employment & business opportunities within the industry. You will learn…

  • About the food and drink industry – types of establishments and services that provide food and drink
  • About the job roles and employment opportunities within the catering Industry
  • How to prepare, cook and present food to a professional standard
  • About nutrition, menu planning, costing and portion control
  • About different types and uses of specialist equipment
  • About health, safety and hygiene
  • About communication and record keeping
  • About environmental issues and considerations within the catering industry

Homework expectations

Homework will be set weekly and should take one hour to complete.

Assessment

  • Year 10 – one controlled assessment task worth 20% of the final GCSE grade
  • Year 11 – one controlled assessment task worth 40% of the final GCSE grade plus a final examination making up the remaining 40% of the final grade

GCSE Resistant Materials Technology

Resistant Materials Technology is a wide and far reaching subject which has a huge impact on our daily lives. It is mostly about designing and making high quality products using materials like wood, metal and plastic. You will learn….

  • How to work accurately using a wide range of materials to create high quality creative outcomes.
  • Methods for joining materials such as traditional wood joints; knock-down fittings; brazing; welding; adhesives, etc.
  • How machinery such as centre lathes; milling machine; laser cutter; router, etc. can enhance accuracy and productivity.
  • The properties and working characteristics of traditional, modern and SMART materials.
  • How computers can be used for designing and making – CAD/CAM.
  • About social, moral and environmental issues.

Homework expectations

Homework will be set weekly and should take one hour to complete.

Assessment

Work completed in year 10 is internally assessed and does not count towards the final GCSE grade. The controlled assessment task in year 11 is worth 60% of the final GCSE grade with a final examination making up the remaining 40%.

GCSE Textiles Technology Course

The Textiles Technology course is about learning how items are designed, made and marketed for the fashion, home furnishing and technical markets. This course is an exciting blend of experimentation, artistry, technical skill and knowledge. You will learn….

  • How to be creative and innovative when designing and making a range of textile products.
  • You will learn how to use and manipulate a range of textile techniques including dyeing and printing, embroidery and appliqué, quilting and weaving.
  • How to use and develop design briefs that will appeal to and meet the needs of different target markets.
  • About fibres and fabrics, finishing processes, components, design and market influences, product analysis, manufacturing systems, social and environmental issues.
  • How ICT can be used for designing and making textile products.
  • How to work collaboratively in a design team.

Homework expectations

Homework will be set weekly and should take one hour to complete.

Assessment

Work completed in year 10 is internally assessed and does not count towards the final GCSE grade. The controlled assessment task in year 11 is worth 60% of the final GCSE grade with a final examination making up the remaining 40%.